There is a moment every Champaign winter when you can’t locate the cause of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be originating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and frosty, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help save money and decrease drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts may be located and why. Here are some beneficial tips to pinpoint your Champaign home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and cracks in strange points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with operable abilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Examine to confirm that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Check the installation by establishing if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only function as well as it is positioned.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Champaign to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Champaign a call at 217-356-6474 with any extra questions or possible replacement needs.